Just like with any technology, some problems can happen. The most important thing is to stay calm and think through the steps to solve the issue.
The Office of eLearning can provide support for Zoom issues from 8:00 - 5:00 EDT, M-F. Call us at 937-229-5039 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also contact Zoom support at 1-888-799-9666 ext 2 for assistance.
Below are some tips for troubleshooting issues related to Zoom.
Zoom is not launching
- Review the guide for installing the Zoom client to make sure you have followed all the steps.
- Make sure you are joining the right room. If it was a scheduled meeting, check the time the meeting was supposed to start and make sure you are joining at the right time.
- Check Zoom's status to check if everything is up and running.
This issue occurs when someone joins the room before the host does. Zoom will assign the first person who joins the room as the host, even if this person did not set up the meeting. To solve this issue, the host should click on the "Claim Host" button at the bottom of the participants list. The host will be prompted to enter a host key. To find your host key:
- Click on the "Sign In" link at [go.udayton.edu/zoom]
- Click on the link to "My Profile"
- Scroll down to find the Host Key
For more help with this issue, please see Zoom's article.
Students access links to recordings via the "Previous Meetings" tab. Sometimes, the links to the rooms do not NOT show up in this tab. We are currently working with Zoom to resolve this issue. In the meantime, instructors can share the links to the recordings with their students. To do so:
- Navigate to the Zoom Meetings tool within Isidore
- Click on the Cloud Recordings tab
- Click on the title of the room whose recording you need to share
- Click on the Share link under the thumbnail of the recording
- Click on the Copy button in the popup window
- Paste the link in an email or Announcement to students
No one can hear me!
- Make sure you are not muted by checking the mic icon in the tool menu. If there's a slash through it, you are muted.
- Make sure you have selected the correct mic on your device. Click on the arrow next to the mic icon on the tool menu to open the mic selection menu.
- Make sure your mic is working by testing out your devices in the Zoom test room: http://zoom.us/test.
- Check the invitation to see if there is a dial-in option. You may be able to use your phone to call in.
- Check additional Zoom audio troubleshooting advice.
No one can see me!
- Make sure your webcam is turned on in Zoom.
- Make sure you have selected the correct webcam on your device. Click on the arrow next to the webcam icon on the tool menu to open the webcam selection menu.
- Make sure your webcam is working by testing out your devices in the Zoom test room: http://zoom.us/test.
- Check additional Zoom webcam troubleshooting advice.
Return to main Zoom page